Lately I have been dealing A LOT with school nurses.
My kids seem to gravitate towards them instead of coming to us. The therapist says they need to learn to rely on us and not other people.
How do I accomplish that when everyone else feels so sorry for these kids that they kiss their asses. (excuse my language but I am livid).
See, Poufy gets hurt...she scabs over and then she picks it to make it bleed so that she can get a band aid from the school nurse.
This because the school nurse will say "Oh, poor baby, you have an owie, what happened?" and it's all lollipops and rainbows.
But when they come to me or Hubs, it's not like that and it won't be. Yes, maybe when she fell but not in the third week where she has repeatedly ripped the scab off for a princess band aid. At that point it's a lecture about how she is going to regret it when she is all scabbed up and won't want to wear dresses that show her knees and she will hate them...not to mention how she is making herself prone to infection.
The boy, when he needs a dose of kiss ass, he "hits" his head on things in the playground. That way when he goes they tell him "how tough it is to be the baby." He's not the baby. Bella is. Just because she is dead doesn't mean he gets to be lazy and pampered. Do I sound like a bitch? Probably.
But he's 6 and he thinks he can throw his clothes out in the hallway and demand his sisters put them away. Do they (the nurses)know that? No. Do they know that he has issues with maturity and by treating him like he is 2 instead of 6, they are helping him regress. no. Do they realize even a minute of that strokes him enough. no.
But I bet they think I am a bitch.
Last night Hubs was having trouble with his catheter and autonomic dysreflexia AND diaphoresis. This causes spikes in blood pressure which can also lead to stroke. I had plans to work on him today to see if we could figure out what is going on.
Fast forward to this morning. Strawberry Shortcake. I TOLD her to stay away from her brother. I kept catching her there in his room. Now she is sick. I was going to keep her home this morning. But she didn't have a fever and when I asked her she said "I only have a little cough". Against my better judgement, I let her go.
Last year when SS got sick, she didn't even tell me she wasn't feeling well and when the teacher asked her why, She told her I would just send her to school sick anyway. That warranted a call from the teacher, she didn't believe SS thankfully. But what crap ARE they talking out there that people DO believe.
Anyway, I get the call from the school nurse. I go to pick her up. I am pissed. Because the babying starts. "Poor baby is not feeling well, blah blah blah."
I told them what transpired this morning. I told them they (the kids) do it because they are babied and that they need to stop...really. Jaws dropped. I'm sure they were talking about me when I left.
Yes, she is sick. But she is going to be 9. She lied to me. Do I excuse the lie because she is sick? No. This is a huge issue in therapy. Their lack of honesty. All of them.
Oh, I'm leaving the part out about her freaking hacking up a lung in the nurses office. I wish I could record the sound in my house because all you would hear is the clacking of my keyboard. Not a single cough once we left the school. Not. one.
This isn't a case of "oh, I love school so much and MY FRIENDS! I would die if I missed playing with them and so I want to go to school!" Because at her age, I would've expected something like that.
I am just beyond and let me just say BEYOND tired of people thinking they know these kids or letting them slide because of their backgrounds. Yes, they had the worst possible childhood up to a certain point and that is now their past. It will never be completely gone. But STOP...stop! making it their today and their future.
Can't these people understand? They are making things worse.
Don't tell me these are your kids, because they are not.
Don't look at me like you know something, because you don't.
I may look like I'm 12 and you may think you have some experience on me but I can guarantee that I've been through more than you can ever fathom and that's light compared to what the kids have been through, so don't make assumptions.
Do not speak to me like I am ignorant because the children have issues.
Do not undermine me with your useless comments.
Do not parent my children.
Do not cast judgment on me because you...yes, you and you know who you are could not step one foot into my shoe and make it out alive.
You may think I am full of shit and that's fine. But I live it and I know it. I Thank GOD! for the new therapist who has worked with treatment foster youth and is working with the kids and sees what I am going through and understands! Thank God for her because now I know I am not crazy and that I AM doing the right things.
Finally someone who does get it and who is helping.
Thank God for hearing and answering my prayers.
Without the new therapist, I would still be floundering and feeling as if I were doing the wrong things and like I was a meanie. I understand feeling sorry for the kids, that was our first mistake, because they took it and ran with it and used it against us. But I wouldn't tell anyone else how to raise their child(ren) so why do people think they can tell me how?

1 comment:
Bravo, sister, bravo.
I think you're doing great. I think other people need to stop feeling pity and need to start feeling that they too are helping these kids on a new start with their new PARENTS.
Hang in there...
From an education background I would suggest going in to talk to the nurse or better yet, an administrator, to make your point. You are well-spoken and have a great point...
Post a Comment