
Ok, my question to you, blog buddies, is how do you reward your children?
The kids got a Wii for Christmas as a well as an Easy Link and I am trying to figure out how to reward them with time on these items because they seem to motivate them the most when it comes to behaving and doing chores and homework.
I've tried to use incentive charts and reward stars on the charts that accumulate and can be used for rewards or saved. I've tried to use Reward tickets that entitle the user to some pre-agreed upon reward.
I have 5 kids ages: 6-6-7-8 and 11. But they act more like 2-2-3-4 and 7.
HELP!
If you have a question you would like to ask or have some great tips to share, visit Shannon here!

6 comments:
I love our bead jars. I posted about them on my blog
http://mrshappyhome.blogspot.com/2007/09/chore-charts.html
Hope that helps.
We just got the kids a gamecube and they love computer games. Both are great motivation.
We keep it simple. We give them a set amount of time each day for gamecube and computer (they can use some or all on either or both). BUT they cannot use their time until their morning chores and school work are done. If they play before those things are done and we notice that x isn't done, they must get off immediately, lose the rest of that day's time, and lose their time for tomorrow. If they do not complete their evening chores before bed, they lose tomorrow's time. I've found this much easier than trying to remember to hand out rewards (beads, tokens, tickets, etc.) and figure out how and when to redeem those rewards.
We also just got a gamecube and I love the bribery thing. Hee Hee
But we also use a white stone black stone method. They each have a basket, if they do something good that mom or dad don't have to tell them, they get a white stone, if they do something bad, they get a black stone. They can cash them in at the end of the week for money or extra video playing time.
so the ticket thing didn't work out for you or was it too hard to keep track of? I was thinking of trying that. We got the easy link for Christmas, too, but our computer isn't up to date enough. ha!
I love your real/literal ages... too funny! I have a 5,3,9mon, 9mon.!
I'll check back to see if anyone else has ideas! I could use them.
Crafty P,
The tickets I have are like movie tickets, they have stubs. So it wasn't hard to keep track because there was a space for their name and our name and why we gave it to them and what they were able to redeem it for. Then when they redeemed them I wrote void across the front and collected them.
Everytime they earned 5, they were given a star on their incentive chart which when the chart is filled would be worth something they really really really wanted (this is where money came in, like a CD or a new game).
It may sound complicated but it wasn't. I just have lazy kids who don't care. But the Wii...that has changed a few of them. lol
Wow, 2- 9mo olds? Crazy! lol
So far Joann's seems the easiest. It's just over at that moment. lol
I have a 4, 2, and 1 year olds. For the older 2 we have the happy/sad jar. The goal is to get all the coins from the sad jar to the happy jar (they start out both being even). When they get all the coins in the happy jar they get a prize. It can be anything from new markers or a book- or something bigger. It just depends. It's great motivation for them to do what they're suppose to do. I got this tip from Lisa Whelchel's Creative Correction.
Post a Comment