Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Joys of Rural Living

So yesterday as I was getting ready to leave for the therapist's office the power went out. Just *pouf* gone, everything is dead.

I went outside and could see the police, paramedics, and fire truck coming down the only street that leads out to where I live and conversely the only street that leads into town.

Someone hit a pole. I had to load everyone in the van to take them with us because no electricity means no fans and we do not have any other kind of cooling.

Well, when we got out there it looked like someone had a backhoe on a trailer that took out the wires. But after talking to other neighbors who had left before me I was told that a drunk driver hit a pole and the wires just happened to fall on the backhoe that was being pulled on a trailer. They know it was a drunk driver because there was a man in the backseat of a police car and multiple cans of beer on the roof of said police car. Lovely.

I called the therapist to let her know that they told us 45 minutes until they could let us pass. Turns out about 5 minutes later they let us through.

We got to therapy and that event is a whole post on it's own.

After therapy, we rushed back because we had a cooling guy coming out to give us a quote on having A/C installed. Let's just say that's not gonna happen because the cost would be a good chunk that would be better used for a down on a new house.

The power of course was still out so we decided we were going to go out to dinner. When the power goes out, we don't have water either because the electricity to the well goes out.

We decided Chuck E. Cheese's would be good. We figured it would have better AC then McDonald's and the kids would have plenty to do. We were fortunate enough to be behind the kindest man ever. He gave us two sets of coupons that brought down our bill tremendously and as the evening progressed he handed a few of our kids two inch stacks of tickets!

We closed Chuck E. Cheese's. Lord Oh Lord! Do you know what it's like to stick those little tickets in the counter machine 1 or 2 at a time? AGGGGGGHHHH! The Boy had 97, Poufy had 310, CDQ had 365 and SS had 277. The oldest did her own by herself.

When we got home they were out there working on the wires. The electricity didn't come back on until 1 am. I know this because I couldn't put Hubs in bed until then. He has an electric hospital bed.

To top things off, we spent most of today with out water because we didn't know how to get it started. The poor well guy was late to work because of no alarm and he didn't get to reset it before he tore off to work. At least he showed me how to get it going if it happens again.

But I guess the best part was being up ALL night sick to my stomach. I will never eat at Chuck E. Cheese's again. My stomach is still a little loopy. The kids must have stomach's made of steel!
Although, I see I'm not the only one who has a bone to pick with Chuck E.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...