Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Great Gummy Bear Scuffle

So, both my mom and my grandmother's blood sugar has been dropping pretty rapidly, or at least it seems. They both seem to be craving sweets more too.

I thought it would be a good idea to take my grandmother to Sunflower Market so she could walk off her breakfast and do some shopping. I was already going there, so why not?

Holy moly people, I was speechless and I will tell you why.  I was looking for sweets they could both have.  My grandmother picked sugar free popsicles and my mom picked sugar free gummy bears.  I told my grandmother she could have a popsicle in the car on the way home because it was also a hot day.

So my mom gets my grandmother her popsicle while I am loading the groceries and my grandmother's walker in the car. My mom also takes out her gummy bears (which I've found out are bad for them).  I didn't realize my mom had given my grandmother her popsicle already until I went to shut her door. There was like a bite left. Grrreat!!!

Now imagine this if you will. My grandma finishes her popsicle at the same time my mom asks me to open her gummies. I open them for her and pass them up ( we went in my mom's car and they were in the front and I was in the back.)  She takes two and my grandmother asks her for some. My mom tells her no because she just had her dessert. Meanwhile, we are still sitting in the parked car in the parking lot and I am putting on my seatbelt.

Next thing I know, my mom tells my grandmother she can't have anymore. Apparently, she held it out for her to take some and my grandma thought she was going to take the tub. So my mom starts to pull it away and my grandma grabs a fistful. My mom grabs the lid and tries to put it on while my grandmother yells at her she can have some if she wants and she will....

Um...WTF? This scuffle took like 30 seconds but it felt surreal.

I'm just sitting in the backseat speechless until I found my senses and told them to give me the frickin' gummy bears and neither one of them can have them. I get the container passed back to me and put the lid on.

My mom is grumbling that it's not fair because those were hers and my grandmother already had her dessert and my grandmother is munching on the gummies she took laughing.

Let's just say they didn't talk to each other the whole way home or for a couple of hours later.

Ahhhh, silence *chuckle*

I felt like telling them "I can't take you two anywhere!"  or  "If you two can't behave you can't go to the store anymore with me." or "See if I buy you guys anything ever again!" You know all those good parent sayings  :-)

Spending this time with them has made me see just how much alike they are. I suspect that's why they have clashed so many times over the years.

Pure craziness, I'm not sure it's all diabetes related. lol!

1 comment:

obladi oblada said...

Sounds like at times, you might feel like you have two more kids! Lol...good story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...