Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Back to our regular programming...

This was written last night but posted tonight. This morning when we took my Grandmother's blood it was 178. The lowest it's been since she came for her visit! YES!  Hoping it continues to go down.

Strangely enough, the stuff hit the fan about an hour and a half after I got a hit from Tucson...Hmmmm.... I wonder how they are going to explain the fact that since she's been gone (a week Friday) her bank account has dropped down to $136.  There are no transactions from my state, ya know? The one she's actually been in the last week. I know this because she hasn't even taken her purse with her when she goes out.  Everything she needs or wants is paid for.

She said she didn't want to go back, so I told her she could stay here as long as she wants and even live here if she wants to. Of course, she was mad....so I don't know whether to believe she truly wants to live here. I heard her tell the lady at the bank over the phone that she likes it here and that she's going places and is in no hurry to get back.

I'm worried for her.
========================================================================

Things here are going great!

My grandmother isn't nearly as bad off as everyone is saying. I think people need to stop talking around her and talk to her. I've held numerous conversations with her and she's held her own just fine. I don't think people ask her anything, I think they just tell her.    

She made me tear up the first night because she said she had something to tell me. She told me she was glad she got a chance to see me again before she dies.  I could tell it was important to her to tell me that. I told her she's no where near dying and that's when I realized people are treating her like she has one foot in the grave and that's just not the case.

I was so angry. She got here with clothes that had holes in them, the shirt she was wearing was a shirt that I happened to remember seeing on her when her and I visited California in the 80s when I was 9 or so, I used to have a picture somewhere. It was new then, but now it was at least 2 sizes too small and instead of buttons it was being held closed by safety pins.  I should have taken a picture of it.

Instead, I went straight to the store and bought her some new shirts and shorts and undies, etc... I also bought her a new nightie.  It makes me sad too because my grandmother has given up in that respect. She would have never gone out in public like that.

She seems happier now though. She's been working on jigsaw puzzles and she even sewed a felt heart and teddy bear by hand. She went shopping the day before last. She was ready to have her hair done but the lady I like wasn't in. She's supposed to get it done Friday and she's really excited.

Today I bought her a new recliner. There was an awesome Father's Day sale out here and I was able to get her this really cool recliner that has heat and massage. It even has a cooler for her drinks in the arm rest and a place for her to put all her magazines and tissue.  I think the name of the recliner is "The Tailgater". It's the cutest thing. It came with one of those can snuggie thingies.

I have some concerns about her health. There are things that I think aren't right. I've discovered that she hasn't been taking her diabetes or alzheimer's medications regularly. Case in point, she has patches she's supposed to wear for memory. These appear to have been prescribed in April and there haven't been any refills since. She still had 15 patches left from that first box.  When my mom and I gave her a shower I discovered she was wearing two patches. My mom doesn't know who put the patch on her lower back but she is only supposed to wear one at a time.

I spoke with Hubbins home health nurse about diabetes and she was really informative and helpful. We try to buy as much organic as we can, you know- veggies and fruit and now I'm buying with carbs and sugar counts in mind. My grandmother is eating healthy now, she hasn't had any Coke either. I've bought her flavored waters that have less than one gram of sugar, no calories and 4 carbs. We've cut back on the white stuff- bread, rice, etc... and we've increased her protein a little.

She does have some stiffness, but she appears to be getting stronger and more mobile. I worry that she might fall going to the bathroom but she's not limping so much. Instead of my mom and I holding her under each arm, I can now hold her hand and walk her to the bathroom.  Hubbins has a potty chair that is helping her tremendously. It's kind of funny because she loves it.  It's not so hard on her knees and she doesn't have to drop down because the seat is higher and wider like an actual chair.  It has arm rests to help her get up and down too. I noticed she's not getting up as often to go to the bathroom. The first few nights we were up between 18-20 times. Last night she didn't get up to potty at all. Tonight has been moderate so far but she drank a ton because she was trying out the flavored waters.

My mom also bought her a shower chair. We haven't tried that yet. I had just put a folding chair in my shower but already she was liking that. She only has a tub at her house, but I have a walk in shower.

I had bought Hubbins a really nice wheelchair when we were first dating because I thought it would work as a shower/potty chair but because of his contractures it didn't work. I'm glad we didn't get rid of it. It works wonderfully for my grandmother. When her and my mother went shopping, we packed up the chair and they were out for hours. My mom pushed my grandmother in the chair and my grandmother pushed the shopping cart. lol! I didn't go with them, but I bet it was a sight.

Right now she has a cough that is worrying me. She has a lot of congestion. I don't know what is causing it. I thought it might be allergies at first but my mom said she's had the cough for years.

I've never seen pictures of my grandmother smiling and I've actually taken pictures of her here at my house smiling and laughing AND looking at the camera. That's big stuff right there. I will treasure this time and everything she has touched here. I'd like for her to stay here because I think it would be the best thing for her. But I know she has a life back in Arizona.  I worry that if she were to go back she would deteriorate. I know it's a hard call for people and I know I have a lot on my plate (so it would seem)  but she's no where near death's door and I think her best option would be to continue to thrive here.  With all that I have written can you believe it's only been 4 days since she's came here.

Just knowing there is an additional adult in my home has decreased my stress levels tremendously. My grandmother's needs are simple and so easy compared to my RAD experiences that it doesn't even stress me out. My situation doesn't seem so heavy anymore.  I don't have to worry that if something were to happen I wouldn't have anyone to take care of my kids or be at the hospital.  My RA appears to be in remission. I have some soreness but my muscles are getting stronger and no inflammation.

Over the last two weeks I've installed two air conditioners: one was 48 lbs and the other was 118 lbs.  I did well. I helped the movers with boxes and stuff over the weekend and I had some stiffness. Nothing major.  Just today, I put together the recliner and pulled in and installed our replacement freezer and I'm still doing great. Don't mistake this for bragging, I'm just so surprised.

I'll have to tell you about the shed fiasco because I also tried to put a shed together last week. Because of that, I now have to make a trip to the dealership for my van. My luck!

But I'm sure this is already waaaay too long and I've probably bored everyone.

Hope everyone is well.

1 comment:

Kether said...

so glad to hear such a wonderful post! you have needed help for SO long. I'm praying this is the answer!

and your grandma is adorable!

(my mom and Nana used to do that wheelchair/shopping cart thing, too)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...