Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

The shed fiasco

Ok, so I knew my mom was moving here and I bought a shed. It looked really great at the store. But what I got home wasn't. I had the bottom and the sides all put together and was starting on the roof when I realized two parts were broken.  I didn't want to take the whole dang thing apart.  I called the company and inquired about new parts. They said those particular parts were back ordered and that they could send them to me when they received them from Israel.  I asked how long that would take. They told me three weeks from when they received them.  I told them it was unacceptable.

Meanwhile, the shed was still out there partly built. I had already had the kids tear apart and trash the boxes in an attempt to keep them from being blown all over my yard and on top of all that I couldn't locate the receipt.  Good times right?

So I went to the store and spoke with them about the shed.  The said they would give me the parts from the display, except when they started to take the display apart, it became too complicated without taking the whole thing apart.

So instead they took one from the floor and exchanged the parts I needed. I was so relieved. I had my parts and I was going to have the shed for my mom's stuff. BTW, this was the Wednesday before last Wednesday. When I got home, I discovered the shed had been blown over in a wind gust and there were now additional pieces broken. Like the stubborn person that I am, I tried to make it work and picked all the pieces up and put it back together. It was holding up nicely, I thought...considering.

So then I'm back at the part where I had discovered the two broken pieces and this time I take my brand new unbroken pieces and I go to snap it in place. I grasped it from it's sides to slide it in and I'll be damned if I didn't break the piece with my hand!  At that point, I had it. I mean my hands are weak. They are getting stronger but when it comes to a pincher like grasp I don't have much strength so to break something like that...I just came to the conclusion it was a POS.

So my mom ends up getting here and I have no shed so I have to rent her one. Fast forward to yesterday when I was able to pack up the whole thing and take it back to the store.  I, of course, no longer had the boxes so I had put all the pieces in the van.  They are vinyl pieces.  I was embarrassed to be taking the whole thing back like that but I'd had it.

They sent two guys out to help me. Now let me explain this about the shed. It was brown and tan. My van, it's slate (blue/grey) and black.  There is a compartment in the back of my van that is built into the siding of the van. It houses the jack and other parts to change the tires. The compartment is covered by the same siding throughout the van. You un-velcro the siding and you lift it out and away from the van and it exposes the metal body of the van and the parts.

When the guys had unloaded the van, they asked me if they got all the parts out. I had taken parts from the middle/front of the van and propped them against the van. I looked in the back, saw that the piece was still on there (because I was worried believe it or not that they might somehow mix it up) and that the shed parts were all out. I told them they got everything and started to show them that I had some parts on the side.  I thought the guy had simply shut the back doors for me.

But after I got to the next store and went to put the stuff in the back I saw it was missing.  I was in a state of disbelief because I had specifically checked that. So I get on my cell and called them. I asked what time they were closing and realized I wasn't going to make it.  I asked him what would happen if I couldn't pick it up before they closed. He said it would get shipped out and then there was chuckling. I said "are you serious?" Then he said he could pull it for me.

Phew! Crisis averted...

So I showed up today to pick up the piece and the girl said "Oh yeah, I pulled that piece out yesterday and put it aside. I'll have to go to the back and get it." I was about to tell her how happy I was because of my luck and all and decided against it. I figured I'd tell when she brought the piece back to me. lol!

So I see her walking back empty handed. Apparently, she pulled it out and set it aside but someone picked it up and put it back with the shed and shipped it out.

I just stared at her.

She kept apologizing. I told her I wanted to speak to a manager. So she got the manager and he approached me with the I'm sorry we shipped your car part out, it's unfortunate you bundled it with the shed. I'm sure my eyes bulged.

I quickly told him, um....IT WASN'T ME. I explained to him the obvious color differences between my car's interior and the shed I purchased from them.  He was like "Really?"  I think my eyes may have popped out that time.

So now in addition to having no shed, I now have to make a trip to the dealership to get the part replaced. At least they will reimburse me for it when I bring in the receipt showing I replaced it. I hope that I can get it replaced.

1 comment:

obladi oblada said...

Oh My!!! What a fiasco, indeed. I HATE days like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...