Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

ICK-A-PICK

So last night at dinner, we were sitting around and the kids were talking about this and that when CDQ, as usual either has to bring up bad things from the past or say things to try and scare the kids.

For some reason, last night it was about the stupid bloody mary thing kids do in the bathroom with a flashlight or something. It was clearly bothering SS who asked her to please stop talking about it.

I had already tried to steer the conversation a different way without conflict, but CDQ just seemed to think she was supposed to continue on in intervals around everyone else's topic.  Any how, SS had politely asked her to stop and CDQ lashed out at her and told her "then you should just cover your ears."

I told CDQ she wasn't being very nice and asked her how happy she would be if someone was saying something that scares her and they wouldn't stop.

Little Poufy, decided she was going to try and intercede. She said with wide eyes "I didn't know that the Queen's name was bloody mary!"  I asked her where she found that out. She said the dictionary.  She said they have a lot of queens in there.

There was one queen she said she couldn't read her name, but she was the queen of ickapick.  I laughed and said "What?" and she repeated it. I asked her to spell it but she couldn't remember.

I said "Ick--A--pick..." really slow trying to figure out what it sounded like and came up with nothing.  In the meantime, the boy was sitting across from me and had this "lightbulb moment". He said: "Oooooooh, IckAAAAPick." and shook his head like he knew exactly what she was talking about now that I had said it slow and all.  SS chimed in like she'd been to IckAPick herself. The whole time their serious little faces are smeared with chocolate icing and bits of chocolate cake and green sugar.

I looked at them and then I realized they thought that I had corrected Poufy's pronunciation of Ick A Pick.  Then I laughed my head off and explained that I was just repeating what she said and still had no clue what she was talking about.

We didn't figure out what she was talking about until later. After dinner, in honor of St. Patrick's Day, we decided to watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People.  In the movie, there's a horse named Cleopatra.

Poufy said, "that's the name of the queen I couldn't remember!"

I didn't catch on until Hubbins said "Cleopatra? Do you mean Queen of Egypt?"

The mystery of Ick-A-Pick has been solved! :-)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

So glad there are moments of joy in with the rest.

I wish I had more to offer regarding your five-part post earlier. Thinking of you often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...