Lately the kids have been reminiscing on good times in OUR home. They always talk about the fun times with friends or bad times with their foster parents or bio parents and never anything that they have done here. I know it's not because of a lack of fun here. But like I said within the last three weeks the kids have been talking about some of the things that we've done as a family since their placement over 2 years ago. For me that was big. I don't know why, but it just seemed big.
Part of me figured if they didn't remember then maybe it was a good thing but the other part of me remembered the looks on their faces when two of them realized they had forgotten her birthday. It wasn't good and it didn't help that one of the ones who remembered was CDQ and she wouldn't let anyone else forget that they forgot. ARGH!
I decided to bite the bullet and bring it up over cupcakes after dinner. There were tears... all mine. I know such a wuss. I was able to steer it away and it ended in laughter and some interesting stories about Bela. Like how she could stick her entire foot in her mouth! and how her first word was "mine!"
I cried, not for Bela, but because as I looked around the table just before I told them, I saw their expectant faces, there wasn't an angry face, or a sad face or a blank face. There were smiles, wonder, each kid was *there* and was happy to be there and it made me cry because for the first time ever in my life, I was looking at family and it seemed like no matter how many times we might fall back, we will still always be moving forward...together.

4 comments:
Aw Dang it. . . you did it! You made me cry, at work no less! I am so happy for you, on such a sad day it seems so wrong, but you are making your family work!
You know, it doesn't seem wrong to me because I've been so afraid that Bela will have died in vain and that these kids will still not get to live, that they will end up addicts, or pregnant, etc... that the cycle will continue because it's too late. I have hope again.
I know that Bela is in heaven and hearing and reading what had happened to her...I just can't be sad for her because she is safe now and not in pain anymore. I am happy for her. I feel to selfish to be sad that she is gone.
What seems funny is that I am typing this while the boy is struggling to calm a meltdown in his room. I think he's doing a great job. It's done and it lasted about 4 or 5 minutes. *phew*
I'm all damp here too.
I'm so glad things went okay. Anniversaries of things like that are so hard.
Post a Comment