Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Heartbreak

At least that's how it mostly feels.

The kids seem to be going through a second honeymoon phase now that my mom is here. I kind of thought it was going to go that way. Honeymoon is ending, but nothing I can't handle.

Right now it is my grandmother (g) that is weighing heavy on my heart.  She's doing excellent or she was until yesterday.

My heart is heavy because just yesterday she wanted me to change her address, just yesterday she wanted to get to work on getting her a better insurance plan. She told me she was happy here and very comfortable. If I had written a post yesterday it would have been all about how my home is a safe haven for people, but I didn't get a chance to write.

I'm not sure what changed. She spoke to one of my aunts. My aunt filled her in on the drama that is going on back at g's house. My mom and I are being accused of stealing from g.  It's the farthest thing from the truth. But the drama is getting heavy out there and it's all by the very people who were stealing from her.  Her husband and one of her sons and his wife have threatened through the grapevine that they are going to show up here and take her back.

They don't have my address. But they will in a few days because of an address change I did for her yesterday. They are going to send a confirmation to her house. Those people have been opening her mail and reading her statements, etc...

It was so sad, last night she thought she saw a man in my house and then she thought she saw one outside the window. She was scared and stressed. She started regressing. She said she knows she shuts down when she gets nervous. She didn't sleep well.  All because of them.

What pisses me off the most is that these so called concerned people have not asked once about her health. It's been all about g's money. I wish there was some way I could stop them. G thinks she is strong enough to face them but I'm afraid she isn't.  She never has been and that's why they do the things they do.

I thought everything was fine. We went and picked up some of my mom's stuff from storage since she's moving her things in a little at a time and when we got home G told my mom that they were going to the stores tomorrow and then the next day my mom was taking her home.

I was so confused.  I asked her why she was leaving and she said she had to get her things back there. I wasn't sure what she meant. I asked her about the address change and stuff she wanted me to do just the night before.  I told her it was going to take a bit to get all that switched because I just started.

I guess she hadn't thought about that. But we had just talked about getting her medicare straightened and a new prescription plan and finding a doctor to recommend her for the diabetes shoe program I found out about.

She said she still wants to do those things and then she will go get her stuff.

I clarified on her stuff because she kept saying get them. So I asked what her plan was. She said she has to move here. I asked her why she said  "have" and she smiled at me.  I told her that I didn't want her to feel like she "had" to move here.  She repeated that she wanted to get her stuff and that she's happy here.

So, I told her if she wanted to move here, I could take the stuff I just started moving into the old homeschool room that I was making into a sewing room out of there and she could have that room. I told her to just let me know.

Then she made me so sad. She told me this is the best time she had in her life and that we had a lot of fun and that she was really happy here. She was talking past tense.  I don't know what that means.  Then she told me that I haven't seen the last of her and that I am not going to get rid of her so easily.  She was laughing and smiling the whole time.

I'm .so. confused.

I am also so scared for her to go back.  I'm scared she'll back down.  I'm scared they will take over and shut her down again.  I'm scared for my mom to go and help her get her stuff back.

I wish I knew what to do or how I could help her.  If she really just wants her stuff and just wants to move here, I have let her know she always has a place here. But the way she came here, the condition she was in. I can't in good conscience let her go back to that without reporting it.

Her bank statements that have come show that my grandfather was using her card all the time as if it were his, the lady at the bank that I talked to today was witness to him forcing her to add him to her account.

He was buying her Wendy's all the time. She's diabetic with high cholesterol. Some days he even went twice to Wendy's. He would buy her large cokes from McDonald's too and store them in the fridge for her.  Sundaes from McDonald's too. With her health history how can that NOT be trying to kill her off?

The day they drove up here her blood sugar was 220. She was almost 200 lbs.

This is her now: It's hard to see what the meter says but it actually says 95.  I think if you click the picture it will enlarge. You see how happy she is? She's also down 10 lbs. She's only been here a month and 2 days.


This was her the night she came. She's wearing one of Hubbin's t-shirts because the shirt she had was brand new when we visited my Aunt back when I was NINE or so. The other shirt was full of holes and was held together by safety pins. Her lady bits were visible through it.

I feel so helpless. I don't know how to keep her safe.

4 comments:

Donetta said...

oh girl that is a hard thing
have you confronted the husband and made it known that is is found out? course that may even make it worse. It is your love and kindness that will tend her heart...hay what if she thinks it is all too hard for you? kids hubbins and adding her to the mix. What if she is trying "not to be a burden"

Reighnie said...

There's no confronting him. He feels he owns her. They think they are above the law and they can just do and undo as they please. He's even been thrown out of her bank because of his behavior. Nothing stops him.

I thought she might feel like she was causing me trouble. Because I was stressed that they might show up here. But I wasn't stressed because of her, I was stressed if they came to my home yelling and screaming and causing a scene and what that would do to my children. I'm sure that stuff still scares them.

I asked her if she thought I was mad at her or upset with her and she told me no. I said good because if they showed up here it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

I also told her about the kids mother showing up here and how she never got past my locked gate. I told her the gate was always locked and if they did show up and she didn't want to see them, then I would just call the police and she wouldn't have to see them at all.

She said "good!" and seemed to be reassured. Because I was getting the feeling, like my kids, she needed to feel safe.

obladi oblada said...

Oh no...I hope she doesnt go back there, as it sounds to me like they are trying to kill her off to. Couldnt you get social services involved? They are supposed to protect the elderly too. And it sounds like she needs protecting.

Miz Kizzle said...

You should see a good elder law attorney. If your grandmother agrees, you could be appointed her guardian. You might also want to get power of attorney. The diet thing could be caused by ignorance but stealing her money is a crime. If she didn't agree to her husband having access to her bank account then the bank erred in allowing him access to her funds. That needs to be cleared up before they drain her account(s).
Have her social security checks and any other payments she receives been forwarded to her at your house? If she been there over a month she probably has checks that should be taken care of. I don't know if SS has direct deposit or not but if not, someone might be signing her name and cashing them. That's a crime and the person who does it can go to jail.
You've been wonderful to your grandma. I hope she stays with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...