So today the four younger kiddos and I got out and set to work on our yard. It was a mess from winter and from me not really being able to do that kind of stuff in a while. (The pills are still working. I had some inflammation in my knuckle that was driving me up the wall today but it subsided about half way through the day and it's only a dull pain now.) I cleared out all the wind blown dust from the tree rings while the kids pulled weeds and picked up trash. Then I laid down weed fabric over some of the tree rings that were ready and half of our flower bed.
The kids did well. I snuck inside and told Hubs that I thought we should order pizza for dinner and have a movie night afterward. He agreed. We didn't tell the kids anything. Hubs ordered the pizza off the net (so they had no clue since they couldn't hear him calling anything in) and I pretended like I was going back outside to water the plants but I took off and picked up the pizzas. While I was gone the oldest gathered plates and everything we needed but made it sound like she was working on cleaning up some things in the kitchen. So we finally all got to sit down as an entire family and watched Bolt (which I love and bought the week it came out after renting it from Redbox). They loved it too! BE AWESOME!!!
While we were out, we did a little unschooling on Earth day and the environment and why trees are important. Do you know what other use Fruit trees have? According to the boy, they are for poor people so they won't go hungry. Hmmmm....
It was a nice break. We talked about trust and responsibility as well. The lines are still blurry to them. They don't understand that these things are constant and not something they decide to try for or do when they want something.
I'm still secretly planning a little Gotcha Day celebration. Our day was the 16th of April and we did nothing. They were already having trouble so we treated it like any other day. Do you know how hard it is to get anything by 4 rad kids and a teenager?
OMG. I just realized...I have a teenager. Wow.
Oh... and about my post about the 9 year old and the 10 year old. They already know all about periods and what to expect and what they will need to do (I should just buy stock now in feminine products). Even the 8 year old knows what to do on the surface, we haven't detailed anything with her yet. Hubbins and I made it perfectly clear that Flo is a bitch natural thing that will happen to all of them. Then we clarified for the boy--except him. That was a conversation and interesting facial expressions-- the boy's not ours. lol Bottomline, we don't make a big deal out of it here. It's just part of growing up.
I just wish the 9 year old wasn't in such a hurry.

3 comments:
Sounds nice! Dare I say.... pleasant!
My kids loved Bolt too and we had a similar "surprise" family event a couple of weeks ago with that movie. I can get them to do lots of chores if I suggest we MIGHT get to see that movie. Won't last but I will enjoy it for now. I am so glad you caught a break in their behaviors to enjoy this time.
On another note, if you still like your camera monitor system, would you mind sharing what video camera system you got for the kiddos. Mine just bit the dust and am searching for a good one to replace it soon. You can email me at nlbtexas at gmail dot com. I would reallly appreciate it. Thanks.
Just stumbled upon your blog and it sounds like you have your hands full but seem to manage well! Impressive!
Post a Comment