So even though I feel like it was just the other day that we went through ALL the kids clothes and had them try it all on and pass it down or give it away, it was time to do it again.
This time was a little different.
I had bought the kids all dressers for their clothes and then 4 out of 5 of them (coincidentally, the 4 that got the brand new dressers) promptly broke them. They were Sauder brand and they come with a 5 year warranty that allows for replacement parts no matter if the mistake was theirs or yours. I've utilized the warranty three times already.
Then, I had to remove the dressers from the rooms because they were the perfect place to hide stolen items and items that had been peed or poo'd on, not to mention they seemed to be the perfect jumping off of item or let's carve swirls into item for a certain boy. So I moved all the dressers to the walk in closet in the oldest's room.
That was difficult. I had about seven dressers in that poor closet. I also wanted my storage space back and realized that Hubbins and I needed dressers ourselves but hadn't purchased any because we were waiting for ones we both liked and then Hello....instant family and all the careful plans were thrown out the window.
So I thought I would implement a see through tote plan. I bought each of the kids a tote and went to label them only to find they had broken my label maker. Words were said.
I ended up marking them with markers after trying unsuccessfully to save a brand new roll of label tape for almost 2 hours. That stuff is expensive! By this time it was 10 am. I know seems like it would have been later.
Anyhow, so we go through all the kids clothes. The oldest is wearing MY clothes from when they first moved here. SS is wearing the oldest's clothes already and SS's clothes skipped right past CDQ and went to Poufy. *phew*
They have grown so tall and at a ridiculous rate. The oldest and SS seem to have grown throughout if that makes sense. But the boy, Poufy and CDQ have shot up so fast they look like sticks. I know they aren't starving. I keep telling myself I need to take a picture of a serving in my house and ask you all how much your kids eat, because mine...mine seem to eat like teenage boys already.
I now have four tubs that are slightly stuffed and include both winter and summer clothes. *scratching head* I think these totes are only 30 gallon or something. I wondered what the hell happened to all their clothes. I mean 7 dressers not including the oldest's clothes, 4 of which are at least 5 drawers. Then I saw the giveaway pile. Whoa. There are going to be several bags to giveaway. I have to go through it and see what my nephew could use but I just can't believe how fast they went through everything. We threw a lot of clothes away with holes too!
The other thing I forgot to mention, the new totes also have new clothes that I pulled out of my other tote where I buy bigger clothes and shoes that are on sale or clearance ahead of time. I was worried I was buying too much "extra" stuff but now I am worried I am not buying enough.
I'm also at a loss of whether to buy the kids more new clothes. If they didn't spend their time digging holes into their clothes, I wouldn't mind it in the least, because who doesn't want their kids to look cute? But when they dig holes, rip and chew the clothes up by the second wearing...well then there are more words. Naughty words.
I think for now, I will not buy more clothes. They have a couple of new pieces for summer and I think they just need new underwear and socks.


3 comments:
amazing isnt it! It seems like every time I get ahead with clothes we have another growth spurt or slobby spurt or falling and ripping spurt. I have been staking out Goodwill on their color discount days lately.
Insanity indeed.
I'm in love with Once Upon a Child and the outlets for reasonably priced children's clothes...I swear to you that 75 of my girls' stuff is 'recycled'.
Thrift stores and garage sales are my best friend! I buy most of the kiddos everyday/play clothes/school clothes at thrift stores & garage sales. I scour clearance racks for good deals too. My kids know I'm a cheap-o!
Post a Comment