Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

This moment...

is perfect.

The day not so perfect but the moment I want to capture it and keep it.

Hubs is playing a game on his computer, the oldest is doing her homework, the boy is in his room, CDQ and SS are at the table doing their math. Yes, homeschool started back up today too. lol Poufy...oh that little Poufy, let's just say she's in her room.

It is a nice silence compared to the screaming and raging of Poufy earlier.

I have to say I feel like I'm this clueless person who should have known better or had an idea or something... I can't even articulate what I am feeling because...well, I don't know how.

Last night I was in Facebook trying to become familiar with it and I did a search on RAD. There were some groups and causes. Which led me some how into YouTube...when in youtube, I decided to search RAD there as well and who did I come across? Christine and a video of her children practicing strong sitting.

Ok, this is where I interrupt myself and say "Self, why couldn't you think of searching for this stuff? It's so obvious. Duh." *kicking self*

(side note: I also did some research on pressure sores because Hubs has a couple from the cushion change...who knew all that info was out there?)

(side side note: Did you all know that I have been in the computer field since elementary school?)

So fast forward to this morning... I see Lisa's post of J doing her tapping. I think "I should try these with the kids. When am I going to have time?"

Then about 2 hours later... I think... hey, I am the teacher, I decide what to teach in "school". I'm teaching Cool Down tips, tapping and strong sitting today.

Yes... when it comes to the kids, I feel very slow...mentally and physically. Somehow I formed this mental block that believes that I am a caregiver with rules to follow and I can't step outside the lines. I know it comes from the way we were treated by social workers and everytime I think I've moved past it, I realize it's still there and it drives me crazy. It also stems from the fact that I am Hubs caregiver and I have rules to follow there based on my employment. It's all very gray.

Anyway, I called the kids out, minus Poufy because she preferred to rage and be disrespectful. I sat them down in front of the laptop and I showed them Christine's kids. I explained to them that some of the kids had RAD like they do and that they use this to help them feel better.

They loved seeing Christine's kids. I think it was a connection, they asked if they were adopted too and I told them they were. My kids were sooo excited. I should have taken a picture of their faces. Their smiles were so big. They quickly spread out and started copying the kids on the screen. The boy was nervous as he always is because he is afraid of making mistakes. He'd rather not do something than be wrong. But SS and CDQ where into it.

Next, I had written down the sequence of tapping on the white board and I pulled up J's video of tapping. I told them J was also adopted and had RAD. I think if they didn't know better they would have waved to her. lol I just can't express how much they loved seeing the other kids.

We practiced tapping with J's video and then we did the whole thing on our own. I could tell that the boy was still confused but really wanted to learn it. CDQ was relaxed and SS-- she was so HAPPY. She was jumping around. I asked them how they felt and SS quickly piped up that she loved it and she felt better.

After that we went over the list of cool down ideas over at RADkid.org. We discussed the different tips and talked about starting Journals either this week or next week...because *I* am the teacher. lol We also talked about respect/disrespect and what it means. I was surprised to find out that they didn't know, or that they didn't know that they knew because they didn't make the connections. ( Some of you will probably be shaking your heads because as I am finally sloooowwwly realizing these things, they are just common sense to you. LOL)

I was so proud watching them strong sitting and tapping. I could feel the tension in the house just disappear, even with Poufy yelling and carrying on in the background. It was almost like she wasn't here and it was just the four of us.

The feeling has carried on and the house is in a state of tranquilty right now. Instead of bickering, there is studying and laughter. I'm making Hubs favorite meatball soup and the delicious smell is in the air, the house is warm and cozy and it just feels right (even with Poufy choosing her path!).

Thank you Christine and Lisa! It means a lot for you to share these things with us.


We will definitely be practicing tapping and strong sitting every day.

4 comments:

Story of our Life said...

Ahh, I have so much to say and add to your post. Support, love, I've btdt have the scars - physically and emotionally to prove it...

What I want just let you know that I care. that I understand!!

Take each and every step as you can.

We found Deborah Hage to be so helpful. We found that 'most' of Nancy Thomas' 'when love is not enough' book/strategies worked great. Some did not. Some we needed to tweek for 'us'. We STILL use some of these w/our non RAD kids.

This link a few weeks ago by Brenda - also talks about strong sitting. http://reactiveattachmentdisorderlife.blogspot.com/search/label/strong%20sitting

She has some great advice also.

Hang in there!!

I'll email or write more later. I'm very tired and the "not me" part of me needs to go to bed before my list is way to long next week. (Actually, my children are in their beds and have been very good tonight. I however am just spent and need to go to bed, also...)

more later my dear!!

Story of our Life said...

Okay..that link didn't work.

Go to my "when love..." blog. Click on the picture icon under my 'followers' that says Brenda and/or the lady w/a dog I believe.

:) Let mek now if yo need the link.

Gala

Lisa said...

I am SO glad it helped. If it helped one person it would be worth all the dang trouble it was to upload but to know it will help FIVE is outstanding!

Keep up the great work!

C said...

I am reading this to my kids this morning (as a part of school!!!). They will be so thrilled to know they helped someone else.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...