Pages

Monday, October 20, 2008

Why I'm Homeschooling.

I just noticed a comment from Brenda in a previous post. I don't know why I didn't get it in my inbox, so sorry about that.

I'm homeschooling because my kids were out of control at school. They were telling lies, stealing and just plain getting away with murder. When I went to the school to get some help, I took the letter from Nancy Thomas' site for teachers with me. The principal refused to read it claiming "any parent can bring something in and say their kid has it." He wanted a note from the doctor, which is fine. But the attitude was over the top. I was coming for help and he kept checking his watch. This after I was supposed to meet with the assistant principal and yet again she cancelled on me.

By this time, I had a teacher that was way off base. The boy was telling her that I wasn't feeding him and she was overstepping her role believing him, I guess. Poufy told a little girl in her class that she hadn't had breakfast and the little girl felt sorry for her and gave her the breakfast leaving the little girl to have no breakfast at all.

Even when I picked up SS's things from her desk she was stealing gum and hair clips. I told the teacher maybe she could ask the kids in the class if they belonged to anyone but she said she was just going to throw them away. She didn't really care.

That's why I was homeschooling initially. I had started a post about how the first week of homeschool had gone. It was bad. Not so much with the kids but truly learning how the school system is failing them. Every single one.

My first grader can count, but he can't write his numbers or even identify which numbers are which. Same with the alphabet. He can tell you the letters in his name.

My fourth grader and my third grader for that matter, can't subtract double digit numbers. My fourth grader says the alphabet with letters backwards.

It's just a mess. I've been telling the school that I don't believe in social promotion but I guess they're just worried about AYP. Not about what the kids are going to have to go through in life.

Once we move, I believe I will have a choice between two schools. I am going to go to each school and see how willing they are to help with my situation. I want them back in school (OOOOOOOOOOOh, I want them back in school. LOL) but I have to make sure that they are getting the education that they are supposed to and that they aren't going to harm anyone else. I feel so bad about that little girl missing breakfast. Poor girl.

If the school's are willing to help with the lying and stealing and consequence thing, I would be more than happy to supplement their learning at home. Luckily, I don't have to struggle with them when it comes to schoolwork yet.

So, that's why I am homeschooling (for now).

I've tried to find someone or even a daycare that would take my kids and nobody will. They are still too young to be left anywhere in public alone. I was looking forward to vacation bible school at the church next summer, but it looks like my kids are going to have to make up some stuff in catechism this summer.

If I can just get through these next several weeks. Well, let's just say if I can just get through the rest of the year... I think it wil be ok. I hope.





2 comments:

Torina said...

Ugh. The school sounds awful. We had a similar experience with Tara's first school. She ended up in the office multiple times a day, did the whole "No one feeds me" bit, would get into physical fights with other kids, fell down the stairs, got locked out of school in the rain...and yet she didn't need more supervision? Hmmm.

So we switched schools. I hope you have better luck with schools at your next home!

Brenda said...

What a horrible experience. Thanks for explaining to me. I hope you love the new school. How long until you move?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...