Thanks.
~S
======================================================================
Before the kids came and before Life Goes On..., my blog was called Diary of a Freak Magnet because that's how I felt.
I could be walking down an aisle at Walgreens looking for Vitamin C and have a lady come out of the restroom and tell me that she almost "shit herself" because they took so long to open the door and well um, she even bled. *wide-eyed stare*
Or being locked in my office by a co-worker (who I thought respected me and considered a friend ) who was trying to convince me that he could teach me how to party and that I should have children because of the "quality of person" that I am.
I've had a stalker who used to call my house and play some song with lyrics about "between the sheets" and sit outside my house at night leaving crushed cans of beer out on my curb. I've even had what I believe was the maintenance man come in my apartment, eat my food, move my magnets, and use my toilet with out flushing.
Those are just a few incidences. I've never fit in where ever I have gone. I can't say that I ever tried really hard either and I'm not too shy to call a spade a spade if you know what I mean? Because of my family situation, I tended to stay away from people when I was younger. In Jr High and High school I wasn't really allowed to go anywhere or to talk on the phone. My stepfather was really possessive of me. I stopped trying to make too deep of friendships because I couldn't explain why I wasn't allowed to use the phone or go to their house. Besides by the time I was 16 I was spending a good chunk of my time raising my step sister's kids and taking care of my sisters. Consequently, I knew a lot of people but wasn't really close to anyone.
As an adult now, knowing that I need to setup a support system with my roles as caregiver to my kids and husband, I've tried to reach out but again because of the circumstances that I am in it makes it tough. Other than internet friends, I literally have no one. No family. Nada.
I feel like I am in this limbo. I know I am married and have kids, but I don't feel it. I've wondered if the kids weren't relatives if I would feel like I had kids. Even though my sister is a rotten whore, she's still their mother. It's not a place I am trying to take. I always said I would never have kids and my mother would ask why I said that and I didn't know why, I just would answer "well, none of my own anyway."
Where this leads to is audacity I guess, the audacity of other people. The other day, the home health nurses were out to check hubs sores. They always ask about the kids and if any are biological. I always say we didn't get a chance to have kids. Most often the other person will say "well now you don't need to, you're set and you didn't even have to go through labor" and they will chuckle.
They just assume we don't want to have children of our own or need to. We have plenty. But I do want children of my own and granted I know that I am able to have children but we don't know if Hubs can. I still feel like that has been taken from me. I've always known that if it came to Hubs not being able to have children, I could live with that. But this way, with these circumstances, it's just cruel.
Those who don't know our situation with the kids or even my husband always assume that my husband and I never stop going at it or if they know my husband's condition than I guess they think I never climb off him or something, if you know what I mean? Especially during the span of November- March. In November we have two children of the same age (right now that is 7.) In January, one of the 7 year olds turns 8 and then we have two 8 year olds until February. Then in February when one of the 8 year olds turns 9, we have two 9 year olds until March. It always comes up and I don't know why having 5 children makes so much more of a difference than the typical 4 that I see out there.
I don't know how anyone else would take it, but I find it offensive and I tend to think those people are assholes. Even if it's in jest. But that's my opinion. I just get tired of it. Sometimes it makes me angry because I just want to be normal and I just seem to basically want what other people want. I don't want to be picked out of a crowd, I'm not trying to draw attention to myself or my family circumstances. I'm not special. I'm just trying to be.

7 comments:
I just read your label: what kind of fuckery is this? and snorted. People can be just stupid...and nosy...and intrusive.
Next time (once they are through with hubby) kick them. What annoying little turds they are. You're wonderful to take on the responsibility of caring for someone elses children.
I remember how freaked out I was that someone was coming in your apartment and moving stuff around and you seemed to just take it all in stride.
People suck, but fortunately its not all the people.
I've been praying a lot for you, you've been on my mind a lot lately and I hope that someday you will be able to find your own normal.
Glad you got the books. I liked the Daniel Hughes book, too. Another one that I don't have, but your library might is one on FASD. I read it before Tara was diagnosed and it was VERY eye-opening since FASD kids act very similar to RAD kids: http://come-over.to/FAS/DamagedAngels.htm by Bonnie Buxton.
Hay Girl your the best you there is.
I once had an elderly woman at a grocery store stare at me and Dove for a long time ( I am Native American of decent and part white) She is Russian blond. Well all of a sudden she blurts out
"Oh! I get it your husband must be the blond!"
"I said I really don't know"
her jar dropped , I was too sweet to be mean...so then I said...
"She is adopted."
but, I think she got my point.
It's a boundary issue. I had non for a long time our childhoods have some things in common.
Check out a book called
Boundaries by Townson (sp?)and Cloud.
I think that those boundary less folks feel our realness and assume. Or as you say it are just....
I was without child for 16 years of marriage. Assumptions galore. now my kids look like my peers grand kids. I was even asked once if I was their grandma.
Humor saves them face and teaches them a much needed lesson. Anger just makes them see them self justified for being an ass.
She said "oh i get it her fathers a blond"
opps
I know what you're saying. DH and I adopted DD kind of unexpectedly, and decided, when we started dealing with her problems, that we would wait a while to have kids of our own. Then, while we were waiting, DH had his "breakdown", and has now just become "stable enough" for me to think about the possibility. But I'm 41 now. And broke. And with DH's bipolar, adoption will be difficult, I'm sure.
But when I talk to my friends about this, they all say, "well, at least you've got DD."
Yes, I do. But I so much know what you mean.
Post a Comment