Pages

Monday, September 10, 2007

At times, I can't believe it lasted that long...

Thirteen long years... I so carefully researched it back then and was so proud because it was purchased by me with scholarship money I had earned myself.

I have to admit I was shocked, I had put a cup of DH's tea in to reheat and when I came back I thought it was done. But, when I pulled out the cup it was only half warm. I assumed that I had put it in for too short of time but then I realized when the light didn't turn on when I opened the door something was wrong. I tried the plug...nada.
I have to admit this happened last week and I was in a state of denial. I mean I knew it was 13 years old but... I still have it in the kitchen. I have been putting off throwing it out. It was part of my first "major" purchase for the rest of my life. (Major because I was a teen buying appliances, Ohmygosh! )

Believe it or not this microwave helped me find my voice. I stood up to my suite mate (yep, not even my roommate but a girl who stayed across the bathroom) over it. It was the beginning of the end up people stepping all over me and I remember purchasing it at Montgomery Wards and I remember everything the day I used my voice for that first time.

Of course, I had my complaints about it too. The popcorn button was always not quite right with the time (but which ones are?) after the kids came it was waaaaay to small. I couldn't even fit a small sized mixing bowl in it.

So, I finally broke down and bought a new one. Meet the new one:

It's HUGE!, shiny, beautiful, and has all these cool settings. (That's what happens when you get something from the latest decade, I guess.) I was hesitant to make the purchase because it wasn't in my plans or budget. But... I heat up DH's tea everyday. I make TV dinners on Wednesday's for the kids because they have catechism. I wanted to make a hot ham and cheese sandwich on the last croissant and I couldn't. We started to realize just how much we counted on my dear old microwave.

I just set it up this morning and have yet to use it. I've been staring at it and I am in awe of its size. I could fit an entire turkey in there! I'm sure the novelty of it will wear off and the size won't be such a big deal, but for now...please excuse me while I go force myself to throw out the old one and reminiscence over my single days where dinners were Popcorn, Success Rice, Cup o' Noodles or Budget Gourmet .

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...