Pages

Monday, March 2, 2009

Conversations with the oldest I want to keep

Hubbins is doing much better now. Last night's choices were the right ones and they worked..phew!  I can breathe. 

I've had two moments with the oldest that I want to write down here because I don't want to forget them. 

One was when the oldest and I were in the kitchen. I was getting ready to go grocery shopping and she was bent putting some dishes away. 

Me: I'll be back. (Just to anyone who cared. lol)
Her: Where are you going? 
Me: (not liking the tone and being joking and sarcastic) You're not MY Mama. 
Her: (Looking up at me) No. But you ARE MY Mama. *chuckling*
Me: shock- recovering quickly- "Yeah. See you!" *smile* 

The oldest has been adamant that we are Aunt and Uncle. Until that moment, I didn't know she felt that way. I know she's been hugging us and telling us she loves us for a few months now but I had to leave because I almost started crying. I didn't know how to handle that situation. 

She's also been sticking close by me and not wanting me to leave the house.  She's been coming to me and talking to me about school and her friends. She's not so guarded.  I think I've actually gained her trust and at 13, it puzzles me. Shouldn't she be hating on me right now, or do I get to be the Aunt again sometimes? lol 

She was hating a few weeks ago. The only thing that changed was the fact that she's writing a teen romance novel and she thought she was busted when I "caught" her doing it. Fact is, I had "stumbled" across it before when she wasn't home and  I was appalled by it but then I got to thinking... someone has to write these books and she is a teen and it appeals to her and her friends...who knows, maybe she'll become an author. So, when I caught her writing instead of cleaning her room and I addressed her book and told her basically what I said above, she was in shock. She told me she thought I would be mad. I told her that I had actually wanted to write children's books when I was her age. 

Last week, in the car driving we were listening to talk radio and there was a kid on who knows all these facts about politics and presidents.  The announcer asks the kid what his plans are for High School. The oldest exclaims "He's an 8th grader!" then the announcer asks the kid how his friends treat him and feel about him. He says, "I'm just a normal 14 year old." To this the oldest exclaims he's only 14! 

I said yeah, only ONE year more than 13.  The announcer asked the kid what his plans were for his future. The oldest said she just wanted to get to 14 so she could read Twilight (lol).  I said, "Those are your only ambitions." She said "Yep!"

I said "You must have it good then." jokingly. 

She asked me what I meant. I told her when I was 14 I was working and trying to figure out how I was going to get out of the house when I was 18.  She said "Oh, I've never thought about that." I said "Really?, Never?" She said "Well, not here anyway. Before I thought about it all the time. But I like it here. I just don't like it when I get my stuff taken away" 

I told her it's not that fun when she gets her stuff taken away either (Ie. the radio with alarm so she can get herself up and I can sleep in an extra hour. lol)  

Anyway, I was sooo happy to hear that. When I told Hubbins later that night he said, "Oh great! Then she's never going to leave." lol  Don't worry, he was totally joking. I liked that moment too because it was like a normal parent moment, you know? Joking about the kids never leaving, etc...

The oldest talks about college sometimes. I'm not really sure she will go. She wants to travel the world. I will push her towards college and I've already planned to use the trips that are offered in college and how they are cheaper to motivate her to go. 

I'm afraid to say it, but a couple of times now, I've started to think with the oldest that I am making the right choices for her and as her parents, Hubbins and I aren't doing so bad. We have ourselves a strong, independent and happy girl. We have to be doing something right. 


5 comments:

Lisa said...

I think you're doing LOTS right. What a great moment!!!!! Savor it...

On the book writing...I think you made the right decision too. I started writing a book when I was 9. I'd been reading the Little House books and loved all the living on the land stuff and thought I'd be awesome at it. So I started writing a book about running away and living off the land. Mind you I did NOT have any desires to run away from home just the fantasy of riding my horse through the woods, camping every night, getting syrup out of trees, etc....adventerous stuff...

My mom found the book and was appalled cause she thought I wanted to run away. That was the end of my days as a potential author. I've never had the desire to write again.

Standing ovation for handling this so well!!!!

Reighnie said...

I would have been thrilled if she was talking about those types of things. lol You are so funny, Lisa.

But she was writing about sexual things. I understand she's been sexualized and I know that she's 13 too but she just knows too much for her age (Hell, she knows more than me) . I wish she would still have some innocence. You know how it goes.

Torina said...

Hey, if she is writing about sex instead of doing it, that is awesome. I love that you can imagine college in her future. That has to be a great feeling. I see that for my Toby, too. It fills me with hope. I love normal parenting moments :) Glad you are having some.

Reighnie said...

Torina,

This is true, however, the oldest doesn't have RAD but she does have the family cycle I am trying to break, in her family for as far as I know, I have until next year before she can actively decide she's going to have a kid.

In other words, 14 is the year the females in that family start reproducing and then from every year after. There are only four females in the whole family on that side who didn't have kids at 14. One is a lesbian, two (my sister and her cousin) thought they were waiting by having their kids at *17* and my baby sister who has trouble with Ovarian cancer and by most accounts will not be able to conceive.

I don't want to raise her babies too. I want her to have a chance to grow up and then enjoy raising her own children.

Also, I've put out there that college is just what happens when you graduate high school. The oldest knows it's not true but the youngest think it's just what people do. Elementary, Middle school, High school and college.Then you graduate. lol

I hope it works. :-)

Kether said...

So beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...