The previous fixture cracked under the heat of the bulbs or something and I knew I wanted an island light there anyway since after all it is over the island. I found this one that went well with the chandelier I replaced the other kitchen light fixture with some time ago. . (oh and that one fixture over the sink totally has to go.)
Then it went on to this, the porch light, I needed to replace the glass yet again because last Christmas when I was hooking up the lights it fell and broke. While I was at it, I also changed the front door knob and deadbolt.
But then, I did something wild and crazy!! (wild and crazy because my budget ran out on my job and I am currently unemployed until the new budget comes in who knows when.) I started doing this:
I really wanted to do this when we moved in but I didn't think it was really possible. Hubs is the one who told me it would be oh so easy to do and that it was a do it yourself project so finally, I decided it was time that I do it myself!
I had imagined it would be pretty dusty because we live in a perpetual dirt storm area or so it seems. But I was in no way prepared for what I found. Those spots up there are actually cat urine spots and it didn't come from any of my cats!
It was so gross that I had to wonder how it was legal to sell property in such shape. I couldn't believe the nastiness of the carpet especially since I have a heated deep steam cleaner that I use regularly. The dirt! I couldn't get over that either. The dirt you see above is from one section! So wrong!
I have about a third of the living room carpet yet to pull up and then it's on to the primer, adhesive and tile laying. I can't wait and I am sooooo happy I have finally done this. I can't wait to get the rest of this nasty carpet pulled up from the parts that are left but I am afraid I will have to wait until I get a new budget. lol
P.S. We have a new "family member" on it's way right now as I type. We are so excited. I will post more later after it arrives and I get it installed. Of course, if all that happens before the kid's therapy session!
So excited!!!!

2 comments:
You are SO handy!!!! I'm impressed. Do you want to do wood/tile in the hallway for easier cleaning (and less dust apparently) or something like that? I can't wait to see it!
P.S. The Duckling CONSTANTLY wants to wear that fuchsia dress (with the three ribbon roses on the bodice) from you...she LOVES it and calls it her Princess Dress. So thank you, thank you, thank you...at least it's a beautiful dress that she keeps insisting to wear!!!
Wow what a job you are undertaking.
I never realized how gross and dirty carpets are until we took up the old ones in our former house and put down hardwood. The rugs look clean but often underneath they are indeed dirty.
After we had the wood down I saw all the dust and dirt on the floors and had to clean it constantly as it grossed me out. All I kept thinking was what was really on the floors when I would vacuum only once a week or sometimes every 14 days as it "looked clean"?
Too bad this house has wall to wall upstairs. Ugh, I don't want to think about it.
Post a Comment