Truth be told, I totally suck at the toothfairy position. In fairness to me, I had just retrieved a tooth the night before last, that time being Poufy who lost a tooth. I guess I was patting myself on the back for remembering just a little too soon.
When the kids first came, we did the whole under your pillow thing. But do you know how hard it is to be the toothfairy to hypervigilant kids? They are always and I mean ALWAYS at the ready. Eyes popping open at the slightest sound and nothing like a shadow of an adult hovering over the bed to send them into regression. *shaking head*
Oh and God knows what
And I haven't even mentioned how dense I was when it came to door alarms. They were all inside the doors. Eventually I read someone's blog that said they were installed on the outside of the door. *doh!*
So we decided it would be easier for the toothfairy to have access to all lost teeth right at the front door. That way she wasn't trying to figure out who is who and in what room, etc... and the kids wouldn't be scared out of their mind if they *happened* to see her delivering the goods, because at the front door they couldn't see her.
So up the toothfairy pillow went around the doorknob. It all seemed so foolproof...after all the toothfairy couldn't help but see the pillow hanging there, right? Especially when she checked to see if all the doors were locked at night.
So fast forward to this morning. The boy comes in and asks me if he can check the toothfairy pillow. Suddenly, I heard the sound of the front door being locked last night, except it wasn't me who locked it. It was my mother. I played dumb (which isn't hard for me to do) and started asking if the oldest had fed the dogs, pretending that he had asked me if he could give the dogs water. On and on I went ending, with "No, the dogs need more time to eat before you can give them water. Just wait in your room."
Almost always he would have just gone. But this week we've been focusing on asking for what it is you need or want instead of lying or being silent about it.
Figures.
So he looks at me like I must've gone stupid in the past 5 minutes and says: "But I asked if I could check the toothfairy pillow."
ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttt!
So I quickly said "No, I told you to wait in your room."
Slick huh? lol
So he goes off- quite obviously confused. Poor kid, when he goes back to therapy he'll have to add that to the list. I can see it now.
"I dunno, *palms in the air, shoulders shrugging* she just told me to go to my room. But she told me to ask for what I wanted...and then BAM! *in a small voice* she said no."
I'm an awful mother aren't I?
As soon as he was in his room, I dashed to the front door and did the switch under the watchful gaze of my mother who just shook her head at me.
And now to figure out how to say he can check the pillow without being too obvious to the older kids.
My work is never done. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment