Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

This side of normal...

I wrote this yesterday, but for some reason it didn't publish.
~~~~~~
Homeschool started Monday at my house. I have to admit, I was NOT looking forward to it. Last year, homeschool was about disciplining behaviors and teaching the kids things they should have already known. Like the alphabet and how to add, etc... Remember, I was homeschooling: 1st, 2nd,3rd, and 4th grades.

Mainly it was about dealing with bad behaviors though. I know I am less than 1 week into it but I am thrilled. Especially with the boy. He will be 8 this year and had not read one word until Monday.
Monday he read FOUR books by himself (there are four, one slipped as I took the pic). I could have swore to you on Sunday that I thought all that time I spent going over the alphabet and all the phonics books and letter writing he did last homeschool year was a waste. I had taken him back to Pre-K and I was beyond frustrated.

However, I do have a confession. I think his decision to read came on the heels of lunch that very same day. You see, I had to take Poufy for her blood to be drawn (still checking her thyroid) and the oldest to get her first pair of glasses. What that has to do with anything is that I stopped at McDonald's for lunch and got them all happy meals.

Once home the kids were all reading off the boxes and the boy was staring at the Hot Wheels stuff on his. He told the girls that he thought the guys on the side of the box were the bad guys. The oldest quickly confirmed that they indeed were the bad guys because it said it RIGHT THERE on the box. The boy looked sheepish and then of course I HAD to go there and say "See, if you knew how to read, you would have read that." He stared at the box. Right after lunch, I pulled out The Cat and The Hat and decided to give it a go. Except that copy was destroyed by my oldest niece, A, over a decade ago. So then I pulled out the BOB books. Little did I know...

It's day three of homeschool and he has read 9 books and shows no signs of stopping. He runs to Hubbins after he reads each one and shows him. He's so proud.

That first day of school, I think it was the best day ever for him. They all made pizza for dinner that night with Hubbins. He was so happy. It had been awhile since he was able to help out. Especially with dinner. When they don't listen or pay attention, it's too dangerous to have them in there to help cook.
As I was tying his apron on, he said something that almost made me cry. I even wrote it down so I could document it on here.

He said: "I've really been wanting this, if CDQ were to behave we can get together and ALLLL cook together."

It made me sad and angry. Watching him that day, he was like a normal four year old. Yes, I know he is seven. Those words made me realize how hard it must be for him being so young and not knowing so much. It also made me realize that even though I regret the adoption, it is still the best thing for them to be together.

I know I have to write a post to describe why some things are changing for the best around here and I will get to that, but for now, I want to focus on this good stuff. Maybe next time... I know I have a lot of catching up to do.

2 comments:

obladi oblada said...

Good for him on the reading!!! How sweet that he wants to do things together! Glad it was a good day all the way around for him.

The Accidental Mommy said...

YOU GO ON with your teachin' self! THat is SO COOL!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...