Ok, so as if it weren't enough that the 8 and 9 year old started their periods. I had to go bra shopping...for the 8 (Poufy) year old.
At this point, I just didn't have the heart to leave the 10 year old (SS) out. Even though she shows no signs of puberty, I figured what difference would it make if I got her some too? If anything it would probably be good for that one, with her self-esteem and all.
Originally, I was going to take them with me, but while I was already at the store I decided I might as well just get them myself. I am ever so thankful that I did not bring them with me.
I don't know about anyone else, but for me, getting a bra was not a right of passage. I hated it with a passion. I cried. I did not want one. Now that I am older, I understand I really did need one. My first bra was a C cup, no training for me. It took the boys making fun of me on the bus for me to finally put one on, but OH! If only I had also knew the power I could have had back then. I was so naive.
For these girls, it seems like a bra is like an invitation to the big ball by one of the Jonas Brothers or something. Seriously, for those of you who have seen Beavis and Butthead...hehheh hehehhe hehehe. That's the sounds you heard in my house as Poufy and SS tried on their bras.
Yeesh.
I did pretty good for not having them there. I bought them sports bras for starters. I explained to them which way to put them on and sent them on their way. SS's fit her perfectly. She was so proud. I was glad I had thought to include her because it's not very often that I see a genuine smile on her face. I also knew it was important for her to have one before CDQ did. Why it is important is lost on me...
Then came Poufy, Poufy...Poufy...Poufy. I had given her the bra exactly the way she would need to simply pull it over and put it on, I was thinking there wouldn't be an issue. So, when she came out, I was taken aback about the way it was cut and the fit of it. You know how sports bras are wider in the front and a little narrower in the back, I guess for the shoulder blades?
Well.... this one was weird. It was narrow and smashing things and it looked like it might be irregular. I didn't know what to make of it. Why it didn't cross my mind that somehow this child would get mixed up and put the bra on backwards is lost on me. I guess I just assumed since I did all but put it over her head it would be on right. I had her turn around and that's when I realized it was backwards and I broke out laughing. I almost wanted to take a picture, but I thought that would be wrong and besides, I broke my camera.
Once we got that settled and she came back out the bra fit perfectly. Phew!
I still have one more period and one more bra to go and I don't even want to think about what I'll need to know about the boy...

1 comment:
DD is 16 now and STILL refuses to wear a "normal" bra....she will only wear sports bras. But I think at camp this year, she realized she was the only one who didn't wear "pretty" bras, so now she wants to "learn" how to wear a "pretty" one. It never ends.
Post a Comment