Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Pressure Sores revisited


I noticed that a lot of people are popping in regarding my post on pressure sores. I just wanted to update about Hubbins' pressure sores. The one on his chest has healed nicely. It is about the size of a quarter now after having been as large as a mango. I am so happy for that. I was afraid it was going to go to the bone. Especially after we tried using silver and found out he is allergic to it and it ate away his skin and tissue.

The second pressure sore that has mostly healed was located on his bottom. It was an existing pressure sore. I don't know when or how because he already had it before I met him and it had healed. This sore heals and then opens. Like a stage 2. It doesn't tunnel. It's flat and basically the skin just breaks open and falls off and then it heals again. We think this is related to his seating system and possibly his bowel program. We will be able to know more after we are able to use the new treatment system for his bowels. I pretty much think that it is the seating system with the bowel program irritating it after the fact.

Lastly, the tunneling sore is still present. It is at 4 cm long and after we started using collagen it became very narrow. The sore for some reason will not heal from the bottom up but likes to try to heal from side to side. I worry about this because of pockets. At this point, the home health nurse thinks there is an infection because of odor. I'm not so sure. I do believe he has a UTI, which is par for the course, so they are treating him with Keflex. The nurse thinks that between the collagen and the antibiotics this sore just might close. I hope she is right. It's been a full year since the sore began. We are ready for it to get the hell out already.

So that's where they stand. I worry because we will have to have a new seating system made and of course, as those of you who have searched this out know...it can be a recipe for disaster. Which would totally suck after healing these sores.

If you are having these problems, I wish for your sores to heal rapidly. I can see the frustration, sadness and at times, anger in my Hubbins and I wish these things didn't exist.

Glitter Text Generator

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...