Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Homeschooling here we come...

I have my number and I've officially gave notice to the state that I am homeschool Poufy and the boy.

This is my last resort attempt before things go really bad and we give them back.

I wanted to do this a year ago.

I totally hear what you are saying Kether and that is the place I am afraid of going back to believe me.

But for my own sanity. This is how it is. If I don't bring these kids in and teach them the right way, they are going to probably take all the kids from me just because of their lies.

I just talked to the boy's teacher. She called me because the boy has been late to school too many times and they are holding a slot for him in reading recovery.

Yep, reading recovery. I voiced my concerns last year that he was being socially promoted. I sent him to summer school where I was assured he was one of the brightest. In fact, I'm sure I blogged about it somewhere and BAM! week 2, "You are sooooo lucky your child was honored to be chosen for reading recovery." Maybe they assume if the child is dim so is the parent?

Anyhow, this is the second week of school...late? How many times, where is he?

At least those would be the questions but I was rather told that I needed to get him to school on time. Ok. I confess. The oldest had an early morning Doctor's appointment last week that ended tragically (for her) in her needing 4 shots. After many tears and hyperventilating, she got them and the kids got to school an hour late.

Then yesterday, there were full out meltdowns. Poufy and the boy were in full force. I should've just taken the other two to school on time but I felt like the meltdowns would die down soon enough. With the price of gas, I just can't be driving at their whim. So they were 17 minutes late. If you count that we were there at 7 minutes after and we waited for the forms until 17 after. I mean there were other kids that were late ahead of us that needed forms too.

So yes, he was late twice but she insists it was more than that and that it is my fault. She parents my children. Last year, Poufy was in her class. Poufy was scared of her so it worked for a little while. I told her that Poufy was not allowed to have candy. I kept Poufy from the halloween celebration because she had just had a gazillion caps put in and fillings and the dentist said no sticky stuff. I asked about Rice Krispies because that is our tradition and he said yes but just one and only that. That's how serious the no candy order was. I mean these kids never brushed their teeth for 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9 years. Seriously. Their teeth are jacked.

She still collected candy for Poufy and gave it to her in class. Poufy ate the entire bag in one day during class time. Maybe I'm just anal, but would you be pissed about that "Mom" decision?

I'm upset with the school because they know they misplaced the boy and all he did was snap his finger and say "oh well, we will have to look into that for next years students."

They want to wait until another child goes without breakfast or lunch. Another child has their snack stolen. I don't want anyone else's child to suffer because of mine. Who isn't starving, who isn't lacking. They don't believe RAD is real. They dismiss what I say. I'm just a bad mean over worked mom to them.

I don't want to catch another teacher's assistant screaming at my child at the top of her lungs while the whole class stares in horror. I do not exaggerate. Poufy and I both stopped in our tracks and turned to see the woman shrieking on the playground. Turns out she was going off on the boy. Talk about timing.

As it is, CDQ is paying for her earlier mistakes. Kids don't like her. Parents call her names and one parent went as far as to tell her she comes from a black family. CDQ still doesn't understand that the woman was saying a bad family, she thinks the woman is confused because she's not black.

I have a lock on my pantry door. I have alarms on doorways to tell me when they are out. I have to sleep with one eye open. RAD is real and it's in my house. I haven't really gone into details about the worst parts of it because maybe I am in denial.

I feel that even though homeschooling might not be the best thing for me right now, it's what these two need. They need to be taken back to 1, 2 or 3 years old. They need to be given the boundaries and the limits that toddlers are given. They need to learn right from wrong but they still need to learn at their age level. Does that make sense?

They seem to be missing those parts. This is my last hope. Aside from their issues. I need people to stop judging me. Kether, I hope you don't take this personally because I in no way mean you at all, you are completely right and I know it. I value what you say and what others who are in the trenches say because you know what I am going through. I need the people who don't know me and the people who don't know RAD to butt out. My kids are not "normal". I am not a "bad mother" and I am not my sister either.

I just want what every other mother has. The ability to make choices for my children and to be respected like any other parent. I don't understand why I can't have that. Because I didn't give birth to them? Because I am related to their mother and therefore something has to be wrong with me. Why?





3 comments:

Lisa said...

You're not crazy and it makes perfect sense. The teacher WAY over stepped her bounds. Shame on her!

Kether said...

I didn't want you to be upset with me... and I know that you don't have other choices. that just sucks. And I worry so much that you have too much on your plate.

That teacher did way step over bounds. What if she were diabetic and it was a life/death situation? Parents need to be taken seriously.

Torina said...

I hate that teacher for you. :) I just found you tonight and have been reading through. Society does not get RAD. Society makes me tired.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...